New and Returning players may feel overwhelmed and confused when playing BDO for the first time. The game is very in-depth and has a lot of complicated systems to get to grips with. There are lots of catch-up mechanics designed specifically for new and returning players, but the game does not advertise the help very well!
Following this guide will help you to find your way through your BDO journey and give you the best start towards endgame gear and content. If you need additional help, you can hop into our Discord Server to ask questions.
The first objective is to make a season character so that we can play on the season servers.
What are Season Servers?
- Season Servers are special servers that only Season Characters can join. Season Characters can connect to regular servers as well.
- They are designed for new and returning players, but anyone can participate in Season by making a Season character.
- Season servers will give you catchup gear and introduce you to the game.
- You can make 1 Season Character at once and can progress in your own time. When you are ready to advance your character further, you choose to graduate and leave the season server.
- You keep your Season character and your gear when you choose to graduate from the season, and it becomes a “normal” character – losing access to the Season servers.
Why should I play Season?
- You can end the season with a full set of gear equal to TET boss gear. This is really good gear to get you started in the game and trying to get it without season is much harder.
- Lots of other rewards you don’t get on normal characters, such as extra inventory space and skill points.
- Season servers have a permanent Combat EXP +100% and Skill EXP 20% buff
- PVP is disabled – except Guild Wars (unless you join the specific channel), so you can enjoy the game without any worries!
Other things to know:
- The central market is not seperate to other servers.
- You can use your pets, fairy, tent and maids that are already on your account
- You have access to all your mounts in your stables. Since the 5th August 2023 patch, season characters can now use T9 horses
How to get started!
Make sure you select the “Season Character” button when you create a character
When you create your character, you will be asked which starting zone you would like to begin with. I personally recommend starting with the Ancient Stone Chamber zone because it is far less confusing and there are more resources online that are based on Ancient Stone Chamber, since this was the original starting zone. No matter where you start, you can complete both storylines at a later date.
Unfortunately, you will also have to complete a short tutorial. There is no way of skipping the tutorial if you are a new player, but any future characters you make will have the option to skip. The tutorial takes approximately 10 minutes and gives a very basic guide to movement and key inputs. Please do not base the entire game experience on this tutorial because it is not very well designed!
Join one of the Season servers for extra benefits.
Season servers have a special icon on them so you can tell them apart from regular servers
- You must use Season specific gear, called Tuvala Gear or Naru Gear!
- You can also equip Asula accessories, or gear obtained from the main story quests.
- If the gear can be equipped, it will have a special icon.
Your Journey through Season
Level 1 to 55
- After creating your season character, follow the main story quests to level up. If you get confused at any point, open the quest log (by pressing O) and follow the quests under the “Main” tab.
- You can press the buttons in the quest log, or on the quest widget to autopath to the quest objectives.
- I also recommend turning ON all quest types at the bottom of your quest log (O).
- You will complete different main storylines the first is Balenos, then Serendia, Calpheon, and finally Mediah. After completing these, the others are optional for now but give extra rewards.
- Completing each part of the story quest will give you [Season] Secret Book of the Misty Breeze. Just hold onto these for now and don’t use them yet.
- You will have a Season Pass to complete as well. The tasks on the Season Pass are important to complete and most of them don’t require any extra work. You can use them as a good guideline for what you should be doing next.
- Around level 25 – 30, you will start to get Naru Gear and Beginner Blackstones from the main story questline.
- Right-click the Beginner Blackstones to open the enhancing window. Enhance your Naru gear as much as you can. You can do this by just spamming the Enhance button, don’t worry about failstacks, the gear is easy to enhance.
- Your Naru gear will go up to +15, after that, it goes PRI, DUO, TRI, TET and finally PEN.
- You can exchange your PEN Naru gear for PRI Tuvala gear straight away, by clicking the convert button in the enhancing window (see image below).
- Tuvala is a better set and what you will use for the rest of season.
- Keep following the questline and complete the Mediah main story questline – this should get you to around level 55.
Level 55 to 61
- You should have PRI Tuvala gear, so it’s time to enhance again!
- Tuvala gear is enhanced using Time-Filled Black Stones. Enhancing Tuvala gear up to PEN is a little more difficult and will take a while. Depending on how much time you have, it might even take a few weeks for you to get everything up to PEN, but the goal is to finish the season will full PEN Tuvala Weapons and Armors, so that we can swap it to Boss gear when the season ends.
- Go speak to Fughar and collect the Enhancing quest rewards for some materials to help you enhance.
- I recommend checking our Basics of Enhancing Guide to help you get started. Failstacking can also be a complicated system to get your head around, so it’s best to look up some Youtube guides to help you with this.
- After enhancing your gear a little bit, it’s time to grind to push for 56!
- Remember those [Season] Secret Book of the Misty Breeze we told you about at the start? Well just before you go grind, pop as many Skill EXP buffs as possible and then use all of your Misty Breeze books as well for a big skill points boost.
- At level 56 you get your class Awakening/Succession. These are questlines you need to complete to unlock the full potential of your class. You can find the start of the quest in your questlog (O) under Suggested.
- Now it’s back to the grind again! Grind up to 58 and keep enhancing your gear as you get more Time-Filled Black Stones. If you aren’t sure where to grind, start doing the Weekly quests and Regional quests for their rewards.
- Once you hit level 58, follow our 58 – 59 leveling guide, 59 – 60 guide, then finally the 60 – 61 guide
- Now that you’ve reached 61, you have just a few more things to complete the season!
- Finish your Season Pass tasks and take all the rewards.
- The Season Pass will ask you to complete certain questlines. Speak to your Black Spirit after completing them to finish the Season Pass:
- [Suggested] [ADV Support] Fairy, Mysterious Companion questline – Unlocks the Fairy Companion
- [Suggested] [ADV Support] Inventory Expansion! – Complete 1 of these inventory space quests
- [ADV Support] Pets, Loyal Companions – Complete 1 of the free pet quests
- Book of Margahan – Chapter 1 – Complete chapter 1
- [Recurring] [Season Weekly] Stronger Tuvala Gear – Complete 1 weekly quest
- Rift’s Echo – Defeat 1 boss from a Rift’s Echo
- [Suggested] [Lv. 58] Naderr’s Band – Complete the Naderr’s Band questline
- Old Moon Guild’s Trade Offer – Complete 1 daily quest from Jetina
- [Suggested] [Lv. 60] Bag of the Stars – Unlocks Family Inventory
- Dark Rift – Defeat 1 dark rift boss
- After completeing the Season Pass, use the Frozen Tides Black Stone to enhance one of your Tuvala pieces from TET > PEN with 100% chance.
- Complete your daily Red Battlefield quests, weekly quests and regional quests for more Time-Filled Blackstones if you need them.
- Get all your Tuvala gear to PEN.
- Start going to World Bosses in preparation for PEN Boss Gear once you graduate.
- Start working towards the “Free” PEN accessory. This is time-gated so it’s better to start early!
- Keep grinding on season for the EXP benefits. If you have full PEN Tuvala and don’t need Tuvala materials anymore, you can sell them for extra silver at an NPC shop.
Free PEN Accessories
There are a few free PEN accessories you can obtain:
|Accessory||How to obtain|
|PEN Capotia Necklace||You can obtain a FREE TRI Capotia Accessory from your challenge (Y) rewards. It is recommended to pick either the PEN Capotia Necklace or Belt.
Each day when you log in, you will get “Dreamy Crystal of Balance” x1 from your (Y) rewards. These can be used to enhance the belt to PEN.
|PEN Capotia Ring||You can obtain a FREE TRI Capotia Ring from your challenge (Y) rewards when you reach level 62 on a character for the first time.
You can then fish in designated event zones to catch the “[Season] Coelacanth” and exchange these for more “Dreamy Crystal of Balance” to upgrade the Capotia Ring to PEN.
|PEN Capotia Belt||You can obtain a FREE PEN Capotia Accessory from the Season Servers Special Reward. This can be obtained by completing a quest at Fughar if your season character is level 10 or higher, or if you have already graduated from the Season Servers.
For your first season, it is recommended to get the PEN Capotia Belt or Necklace (whichever one you didn’t pick from Y rewards) since you should have the PEN Capotia Ring from the other methods. You can also make another season character in the future if you would like to collect the PEN Capotia Earring as well.
|PEN Ring of Crescent Guardian||You can obtain a PEN Ring of Crescent Guardian by completing Jetina’s PEN Accessory quests.
These are daily quests that take a minimum of 45 days to complete. Every new and returning player should start the daily quests as early as possible for a highly discounted PEN accessory.
Adventure Logs/Journals are once per family content/challenges you have to complete to unlock permanent stats and bonuses for your account. Some adventure journals give permanent AP and DP and are very important to complete as early as possible. There are several Adventure Logs in the game, and some can take a very long time to complete, so start to tackle these early on and work at them slowly over time.
Click the titles to view our guides on them.
The Magnus (Free PEN Boss Armor)
After reaching level 61, it is recommended to complete the Magnus questline to receive one PEN boss armor of your choice completely free.
- This questline takes around 3-4 hours to complete, but does not have any gear requirements and can be easily completed by a new or returning player. The only requirement is that you have completed the main story quest up to and including Calpheon.
- It is highly recommended to do the Magnus questline as early as possible because it gives several rewards including a new skill for your class and unlocking the ability to fast travel.
- To get started, talk to your Black Spirit to obtain the quest “[The Magnus] Nostalgic for Velia”
I recommend taking the PEN Griffon Helmet from the Magnus PEN Boss gear reward.
The reason Griffon Helmet is recommended is because it is harder to obtain the materials to enhance it to PEN using Jetina’s guaranteed PEN Method. You can also upgrade the Griffon to a Labreska Helmet at a later date. PEN Bheg’s Gloves are also a good option because they give a lot of Accuracy, which you will be lacking at first as a new player, you can take this instead if you already have a PEN Griffon/Giath Helmet.
You cannot wear this gear yet as a season character, but as soon as you graduate you will be able to equip it.
Infinite Potions are treasures to collect in BDO which are basically never-ending potions. They cannot be bought from the Central Market, and are a rare grinding drop that takes hours and hours to collect. Most people start grinding for the infinite potions while on the Season Servers, since the grind spots are not too difficult, and the infinite potions are very important to collect.
Season’s Special Reward
- You can receive a special reward by exchanging the Season Special Gift Exchange Coupon at NPC Fughar
- The coupon is obtained from the Season Pass when you reach Lv. 10 on a season character.
- If you have already graduated without exchanging your coupon, you can still go to Fughar to claim your reward
You can choose between any of the rewards if you have not already claimed them.
For your first season, it is recommended to get the PEN Capotia Belt or Necklace (whichever one you didn’t pick from Y rewards) since you should have the PEN Capotia Ring from the other methods (info about free PEN Accessories). You can also make another season character in the future if you would like to collect the PEN Capotia Earring as well.
|[2020 Summer Season]||
PEN (V) Capotia Earring
PEN (V) Capotia Ring
|(Select ONE of the above)|
|[2020 Autumn Season]||
|[2020 Winter Season ]||
PEN (V) Capotia Belt
|[2021 Summer Season]||
PEN (V): Capotia Necklace
Advice of Valks (+100)
Season: Dawn of Dragons
Advice of Valks (+100) Box
Advice of Valks (+150)
Graduating from Season Servers
Unfortunately, your time on the Season Servers will eventually have to come to an end if you want to progress your character futher. This is referred to as “graduating” from the Season Servers, and this happens only when you are ready to leave the season. You can choose exactly when you want to graduate and leave the season server.
When your character graduates, it becomes a normal character, losing access to the Season Server channels and benefits. However, as a normal character, you can now equip more powerful gear, such as Boss Gear, Godr-Ayed/Blackstar Weapoins, and yellow-grade accessories (such as Capotia Accessories).
You will keep your Tuvala gear, and use them to help you upgrade to those better items.
For new players, it is recommended to take your time and stay on the season until you are sure you are ready to graduate. Even if you have completed the entire season pass and gotten full PEN Tuvala gear, you can still benefit from the season buffs and grinding on the season server. Selling any extra Time-filled Blackstones or other season materials will give you additional silver and can make a huge difference.
Exchanging Tuvala Gear for Boss Gear
After graduating from the season, you have 2 options and will want to take advantage of both of them.
Option 1: Boss Exchange Coupon
- You will be given a [Season] Boss Gear Exchange Coupon every time you graduate from the season.
- This can be used to change ONE PEN Tuvala gear into TET boss gear.
- The TET boss gear can be enhanced and you can put caphras into it.
- You are limited to which gear it will exchange to (Eg. Kutum only).
- You cannot sell it on the central market.
- You can exchange this gear at Jetina later on if you want to.
Option 2: Jetina Boss Exchange
- Jetina Boss Exchange is can be done ONCE per account.
- You can exchange ONE FULL SET of boss gear.
- You can choose between the different boss gear options (eg. Kutum or Nouver)
- You CANNOT enhance this gear or put caphras into it.
- You can only turn this gear into PEN using the guarenteed PEN boss gear method.
- You cannot sell it the central market.
If you are a new player, you can ignore the boss exchange coupon, it is not really recommended to use it. Instead, exchange all your gear at Jetina.
The recommended armor and weapons are shown below:
- Ultimately Red Rose will be replaced by Fallen God Armor, Griffon helmet will be replaced by Labreska Helmet, and Bhegs/Leeburs Gloves will be replaced by Dahn’s Gloves.
- The reason you are recommended to take Red Nose Armor instead of Dim Tree Spirit’s Armor is because it requires fewer caphras to level up, meaning you will save silver when upgrading to Fallen God Armor
|Damage Reduction Armors
(recommended for new players)
Griffon’s Helmet ⇒ Labreska Helmet
Griffon’s Helmet ⇒ Labreska Helmet
Red Nose Armor ⇒ Fallen God Armor
Red Nose Armor ⇒ Fallen God Armor
Bheg’s Gloves ⇒ Dahn’s Gloves
Leebur’s Gloves ⇒ Dahn’s Gloves
Once you’ve decided which gear you would like to select, begin the exchange at NPC Jetina.