- BDO Pets are animals that will follow your character around and pick up loot for you automatically.
- You can have up to 5 pets in total
- Pets can go up to level 10 and can be “exchanged” (pet breeding) to increase their tier up to Tier 4
- All pets pick up one item every 2.5 – 10 seconds (depending on their tier and level) within a 10-meter radius.
- Pets also have special abilities, talents, and skills to help aid you on your adventures.
- Pets must be fed to use their looting abilities and skills, but cannot die
Pets can be bought from the Pearl Store by pressing (F3) and then going to the “Pet” tab. You can also earn pets through special login events, buying them from the Central Market, or by completing the quests that give you 5 starter pets for free.
Once you’ve bought the pet of your choice you will need to register it!
To do this, simply go to your inventory (I) and then the Pearl Store tab. Right-click the token and enter your pet’s name.
In the top left corner, there will be a pet icon that is used to control your pets:
- Left-click the icon to open the Pet List (as shown in the image)
- Click the box icon next to your pet to take them out, or put them away.
- You can also assign a group number to your pets by clicking the numbers next to them.
- Clicking the “Take out” numbers at the bottom of your pet list will take out all the pets assigned to that group
- Use the “Check In All” button to put all your pets away again
How to get free pets
There are 5 pets you can obtain completely free by completing the main story quests.
The pets are only available once per family.
- You can find the quests by pressing [O] to open your quest log, then going to the Suggested tab.
- The quests are listed under [ADV Support] Pets, Loyal Companions.
|Must have completed||Quest Name||Reward|
|Balenos Main Story Quest Line||[Pet] Bartali’s Buster||Bartali’s Buster (Shaggy Dog)|
|Serendia Main Story Quest Line||[Pet] Lauren’s Fluffy||Lauren’s Fluffy|
|Calpheon Main Story Quest Line||[Pet] Kalis’ Delphe||Kalis’ Delphe (Sky Hawk)|
|Mediah Main Story Quest Line||[Pet] Bareed’s Junaid||Bareed’s Junaid (Junaid Cat)|
|Valencia Main Story Quest Line||[Pet] Marumin’s Squawky||Marumin’s Squawky|
You can also obtain a free Desert Fox pet by completing Deve’s Encyclopedia and are rewarded with a free cat or dog pet when you have played the game for over 5,00 hours.
The [Event] Kuku pet is sometimes given out during events or through attendance rewards (eg. returning player attendance rewards). You can only have 1 Kuku pet summoned at once though. In the past, other pets have been given out for free as well such as the Wizard Gospy and Penguin pet, so you should always pay attention to the in-game events.
Hunger and how to feed your Pets
As you use your pet, its hunger level will gradually go down. When your pet’s hunger is getting low, the pet icon will flash red and your pet will not pick up loot or perform its skills and special skill. It will, however, still follow your character.
To recover your pet’s hunger level, you can feed them pet food.
Below is a table showing each type of pet food, how to get them, and the amount of hunger they will restore. Good Food and Organic Food can be crafted using a Cooking Utensil, which is bought from a cooking merchant and must be placed in your house to use. For help with these recipes check out our recipes list.
|Item Name||Hunger Recovery||How to Obtain|
|Cheap Feed||12||Buy from a Stable Keeper|
|Good Feed||80||Cooking (Apprentice Lv 1)
Any Meat except Lizard/Chicken x5
Fish x1 (or Dried Fish x2)
Mineral Water x3
|Organic Feed||140||Cooking (Apprentice 6)
4 Bird Meat
1 Fish (or 2 Dried Fish)
|Balanced Feed||80||Quest Simple Cooking
Acquire the quest Food For Hungry Pets from Melissa Brady in Heidel.
Give her Good Feed x5. She will give you 30 Silk Honey Grass Supplement.
Use Simple Cooking to mix the supplement with good feed.
Quest also gives knowledge Pet-Cat and Pet-Dog.
|Brady’s Nutritious Feed||140||Quest Simple Cooking
Acquire the quest Nutritious Organic Feed from Melissa Brady in Heidel.
Give her Organic Feed x3. She will give you 30 Brady’s Supplement Powder.
Use Simple Cooking to mix the supplement with organic feed.
Quest also gives knowledge Pet-Sheep and Pet-Hawk.
|Nutritious Feed||60||Pearl Store only|
Once you have the pet food, right-click the item in your inventory to feed your pets. You can feed all your pets at once and much quicker by opening your pet list and then clicking “Feed All” at the bottom
Pets are split into 4 different categories.
You can only exchange (breed) pets of the same type.
|Pet Type||How to obtain||Example Pets in this category|
|Classic||Cost 900 Pearls||Fluffy (rabbit), Flondor Duck, Striped Cat, Haetae, Orange Brindle Cat, Black Mask Cat, White Valencian Cat, Grey Moon Cat, Tabby Cat, Gray Thin Cat, Black Valencian Cat, Black Thin Cat, Junaid Cat, Calpheon Chubby Dog, Brown Fighting Dog, Snow Wolfdog Naughty Dog, Mediah Guard Dog, Brown Cream Puppy, Kaia Jackal, Kaia Racing Dog, Batian Dog, Shaggy Dog, Curly Dog, Shepherd, Fluffy Puppy|
|Limited||Only available through limited sales||Arctic Fox, Snowlight Lynx, Midnight Lynx, Twilight Lynx, Young Black Dragon, Young Gold Dragon, Black Cloaked Dog, Black Cloaked Cat, Ribbon Cat, Winter Rosefinch Set, Lost Penguin, Snowkid, Hedgehog, Polar Bear, Neurotic Cabby, Witch Hat Charlotte, Cushy Mallowmerz, Helter-Skelter Ceros, Cursed Looney, Drifty Ghosphy, Newborn Crimson Dragon, Newborn Golden Dragon|
|Premium||Cost 1100 Pearls||Otter, Marmot, Brown Guide Hawk, Sky Hawk, Long-tailed Rosefinch, Scarlet Macaw, Desert Fox, Red Panda, Stoneback Crab, Carmadun Owl, Panda, Choppy, Young Griffon, Pila Fe Naughty Dog, Karlstein Cat, Turtle, Little Lamb, Crow, Ferret|
|Event||Obtained through events/attendance||[Event] Kuku|
|Wizard Gosphy is not part of any category and can be exchanged with all pet Types. Other pets can only Exchange with the same Type.|
- When your pet is taken out, its hunger bar will go down over time.
- When you feed your pet, it will gain experience and level up.
- Higher-tier pets require more experience to level up.
- Higher levels will decrease the pickup time, making your pet’s loot speed faster.
- Tier 1 pets can go from a speed of 10 seconds at level 1, to 4 seconds at level 10.
The maximum level for pets is currently level 10.
Skills act as a permanent passive buff which only takes effect when the pet is taken out, regardless of its hunger level. The pet skills you gain are completely random.
Tier 1 pets do have skills but will only gain them when they reach level 10.
- Tier 1 – one skill
- Tier 2 – one skill
- Tier 3 – two skills
- Tier 4 – three skills
Skills are stackable, for example, if your pet has 4 of the Combat Experience +5% skills, you will receive a Combat Experience +20% buff.
- Luck +1 Level
- Combat Experience Increase +5%
- Karma Recovery +5%
- Fishing +1 Level
- Fishing Experience Increase +5%
- Gathering +1 Level
- Gathering Experience Increase +5%
- Alchemy Experience Increase +5%
- Cooking Experience Increase +5%
- Hunting Experience Increase +5%
- Training Experience Increase +5%
- Farming Experience Increase +5%
- Trading Experience Increase +5%
- Pet Talents are like pet skills, but all pets come with only have 1 pre-determined Talent.
- They are passive buffs that are applied when the pet is taken out.
- The Talent skill is always on the right of the pet skills.
Special ability is an extra active skill that you can turn on and off. Special abilities are pre-determined depending on the pet you buy.
|Special Ability||Example Pets with this ability|
|Detects gathering resources in your vicinity||Cats, Flondor Duck, Fluffy, Ferret, Choppy, Stoneback Crab, Snowlight Lynx, Midnight Lynx, Twilight Lynx,|
|Detects a flagged player in your vicinity||Dogs, Haetae, Little Lamb, Young Griffon, Turtle, [Event] Kuku, Young Black Dragon, Young Gold Dragon, Borrum Wolf, Sylvian Wolf, Shadow Wolf|
|Marks elite mobs in your vicinity with a beam of light||Birds, Carmadun Owl, Crow,|
|Increases auto fishing speed||Marmot, Otter, Polar Bear, Penguin|
|Reduces the chance of obtaining heatstroke/hypothermia
debuff in the desert
|Desert Fox, Snowflake Reindeer, Arctic Fox, Snowkid|
|Gathering amount increase||Hedgehog, Golden Hedgehog|
|Taunts monsters||Panda, Red Panda, Wizard Gosphy|
You can toggle the special ability (on/off) at any time by right-clicking the pet icon, left-clicking your pet, then click the command.
Pick Up Behaviour Options (Loot Speed)
You can change the pickup speed to three different options by left-clicking the icon shown in the screenshot below. You can also right-click the icon to change all of them at once.
The three speed settings are:
- Average (yellow) – the default behavior setting
- Agile (red) – items will be picked up more quickly but pet hunger will deplete faster too
- Cautious (green) – items will be picked up more slowly but pet hunger will deplete slower too
Loot speeds depending on your speed setting and pet tier:
- Tier 1: Speed of 10 to 4 seconds (depending on level, higher level reduces the time)
- At level 10 – 4.4 seconds (Cautious) – 4.0 seconds (Average) – 3.6 seconds (Agile)
- Tier 2: Speed of 7.5 to 4 seconds (depending on level, higher level reduces the time)
- At level 10 – 4.4 seconds (Cautious) – 4.0 seconds (Average) – 3.6 seconds (Agile)
- Tier 3: Speed of 6.5 to 3 seconds (depending on level, higher level reduces the time)
- At level 10 – 3.3 seconds (Cautious) – 3.0 seconds (Average) – 2.7 seconds (Agile)
- Tier 4: Speed of 6.5 to 2.5 seconds (depending on level, higher level reduces the time)
- At level 10 – 2.8 seconds (Cautious) – 2.5 seconds (Average) – 2.3seconds (Agile)
Exchanging Pets (Breeding) and Pet Tiers
Important things to note:
- Breeding pets will destroy the parents, so you will only keep the newly made pet. If you exchange 3 pets, you will only gain 1 new pet.
- You can not undo an exchange/breeding.
- The Tier of the new pet is decided randomly and there is no guarantee that your new pet will have a higher Tier than the parents.
- Your pet’s special skill may change after exchanging it.
- Your pet’s special skill may change after exchanging it.
- You can only breed pets that are the same type (other than Wizard Gosphy which can be exchanged with any).
- You can see the type on the pet icon. (Check the Pet Type section of this guide for more detail)
To open the exchange window, click your pet icon then “Exchange”. Click the add icon next to the pets you want to exchange. You can exchange up to 5 pets.
It is also possible to choose the Appearance and Skills you want the pet to keep.
- Select which appearance you want to keep, and which of the skills you want to keep. If the offspring advances in tiers and gains an additional skill slot the slot will be filled with one random skill.
- You can choose to not keep any appearance/skills. This will give you a random appearance and random skills.
You will be able to see the chances of gaining a higher tier and must name the pet before clicking confirm.
- Exchanging Tier 1 + Tier 1 = 55% chance of Tier 3, 45% chance of Tier 2
- Exchanging Tier 2 + Tier 1 = 65% chance of Tier 3, 35% chance of Tier 2
- Exchanging Tier 2 + Tier 2 = 80% chance of Tier 3, 20% chance of Tier 2
- Exchanging Tier 3 + Tier 1 = 15% chance of Tier 4, 85% chance of Tier 3
- Exchanging Tier 3 + Tier 2 = 25% chance of Tier 4, 75% chance of Tier 3
- Exchanging Tier 3 + Tier 3 = 35% chance of Tier 4, 65% chance of Tier 3
You can also use multiple pets (up to 5 to get a 100% chance of tier 4).
- Tier 3 + Tier 3 + Tier 3 + Tier 1 + Tier 1 = 100% chance of Tier 4
- Tier 3 + Tier 3 + Tier 2 + Tier 2 + Tier 1 = 100% chance of Tier 4
Tier 5/Alpha Pets
Although pets can only be upgraded to Tier 4 by pet breeding, you can train your pet from tier 4 to tier 5 with a 100% chance.
To train a pet to tier 5, you need a tier 4 pet with level 10 and your character must be at least level 60. You can then obtain the quest “[Pet] Domesticated Squabbles” from your Black Spirit.
The quest will send you to Obi Bellen at Old Wisdom Tree in Kamsylvia, where the “Tier 5 Pet Training” option is available.
To train a pet, you will need a “Royal Plume”, which is crafted using Processing (L) > Simple Alchemy:
Make sure your Level 10 Tier 4 pet is checked in and that the Royal Plume is in your inventory, then use the Training option at Obi Bellen.
Once you have your Tier 5 pet, you can appoint it as the Alpha pet by clicking the crown icon.
Only one Alpha pet can be appointed at a time.
Pet Appearance Change Coupons
Most pets have various appearances which change as they reach higher tiers. You can change the appearance of your pet to any of the available options, by using a Pet Appearance Change Coupon.
- Pet Appearance change coupon can be bought from the Pearl Store for 250 Pearls, or for 2,800 Loyalty.
- Right-click the coupon in your pearl inventory to select any of your pets and look through the different appearance options.
- Pets must be checked in to change their appearance.
- Click the “Change” button when you have decided which appearance you want your companion to keep!
Polar Bear Pet and Sooty Roary
The Polar Bear pet was introduced and is only obtainable as a reward through the Gift Packages. Sooty Roary was another pet that gives the weight limit increase, but was only obtained by chance when opening a Black Tiger Pouch of Good Fortune, which was bought from the Pearl Store in an event. Both pets are no longer obtainable.
Special Talent: increases your weight limit
- Tier 1 Auto-fishing time reduced + Weight Limit Increase +20LT
- Tier 2 Auto-fishing time reduced + Weight Limit Increase +20LT
- Tier 3 Auto-fishing time reduced + Weight Limit Increase +30LT
- Tier 4 Auto-fishing time reduced + Weight Limit Increase +50LT
The Hedgehog can only be obtained through certain events and promotions.
The Hedgehog pet has a unique special ability that will give an increased proc rate once they reach level 10. This means that every time you gather, you have a chance of getting extra materials.
- Tier 1 – Tier 2:30% proc chance
- Tier 3: 40% proc chance
- Tier 4: 50% proc chance
Having multiple hedgehogs do not make the buff stack. Hedgehog procs do not scale with gathering mastery either and then Golden Hedgehog is simply a reskin which doesn’t stack with the regular Hedgehog pet or has extra benefits.
The Crimson Dragon pet is unlike all other pets because it can only be obtained in-game as a rare drop from Garmoth the world boss. An item called “Dragon Egg Fossil” can drop from Garmoth that can hatch into a pet (Young Crimson Dragon) by pressing RMB. The Young Crimson Dragon will have one of the following special skills: Heatstroke/Hypothermia Resistance, Hostility Detection, Auto-fishing time reduced, Taunt Monsters, or Finds Named Monsters. The dragon pet also has a Max HP +25 talent and acts like a normal pet.
Arctic Fox and Prestige Black Panther
The Arctic Fox and Prestige Black Panther pets are rarely available in the Pearl Store and are heavily desired because of their unique Talent which gives a passive Item Drop Rate increase. The Arctic Fox can be registered and bought from the Central Market but may be difficult to obtain.
The species-traits (gathering detection, etc.) can change when exchanging pets. For instance, my cat lost its ability to detect gathering items, and instead learned the ability to taunt monsters.
Further, the skills I’ve been able to acquire on my cats and dogs in the NA client include: Processing, Alchemy, Farming, Trading, Cooking, Karma Recovery, Fishing, and Training. So the skills don’t seem to be exclusive to the species/breed of animal, although I haven’t had any animals yet with the gathering buff/increase.
Okay, I’m rather confused by this information… Other guides have said we can reach pets to Tier 4, at which point they can receive 3 skills. This one says T3 is the highest and will grant 3 skills. I have already bread a pet to T3 and it has 2 skills…
Will this stuff change with the Valencia update?
Also, will new pets be available with the Valencia update?
I will be pissed off if my T3 pet doesn’t acquire a 3rd skill with a chance to be Luck +1 or combat EXP increase because I’ve never seen it proc for any of my pets. They seem to be stuck with “old” skills.
Sorry for the confusion. There are technically 4 tiers in our guide. But we call the first one “Base tier (tier 0)” while other guides call it tier 1. This is to match bdobase.info/pets.
There is Base Tier > Tier 1 > Tier 2 > Tier 3.
Right now your pet is at tier 2 in our guide, which is why it has 2 skills. When you get it to tier 3 (tier 4 in other guides), it should get an additional skill.
I’ll have a look at reworking the guide to make things less confusing.
BDDatabase (http://bddatabase.net/us/pets/) also uses tier 0 – tier 3.
The desert fox pet should definately come with Valencia but otherwise it really depends on how quickly/slowly Daum want to release them in the cash shop. The breeding shouldn’t change with Valencia though because EU/NA had the breeding update earlier this year.
@Khamara It will require both. One is any meat but those two listed. the other has to be Chicken meat. For example: Lizard meat x5, Dried fish x4, chicken x4, and oatmeal x2.
I’m a little confused about the pet food..
For the Organic one, you have it listed, “Any meat except Lizard or Chicken”, and then two ingredients later, you have Chicken meat listed?
Someone please unconfuse me.. Please!!! XD
1. So penguins have increased auto fishing as a “special skill,” does that mean it is a passive effect for all penguins?
2. So if I have three penguins, will that passive effect of increased auto fishing stack up?
3. How I am understanding this from your guide is, I can have a penguin for the increased auto fishing passive effect, and the auto fishing speed +1 tier level skill for only one of the penguins since the same tier level skill does not stack up according to your guide.
4. So if I wanted maximum fishing value, I should get three penguins with one of them having the auto fishing speed +1 tier level skill, and the other two possibly with luck and gathering (not sure if luck and gathering affects fishing loot).
On the exchange what do u mean by “at least 60%”
“At least 60%” refers to the amount of experience the pet should have. You can get the pet up to a maximum of level 10 with 99.99%. We recommend doing that you have both pets at level 10 with 60% experience for the best results.