To obtain a higher-tier horse, you can either buy a horse from the horse market or start horse taming and breeding them yourself.
Capturing horses in the wild also gives you Training EXP, and is useful for power leveling your Training lifeskill.
Other Horse Guides:
What you will need
To capture a horse, you will need two items:
- Capturing Rope
- Lump of Raw Sugar
For your first attempt, you may want to bring lots of Capturing Ropes and a few extra Lumps of Raw Sugar.
|Item Name||How to Obtain|
|Capturing Rope||Purchase from Stable Keeper NPC|
|Lump of Raw Sugar||Use Processing (L) > Heating:
Both ingredients can be purchased from Cooking vendors
Wild Horse Locations
The best and most popular spot for Horse Taming is just outside Duvencrune. The horses can be found south of Duvencrune, and west of the Gayak Altar node.
The reason this spot is popular is because there is a higher chance of finding tier 7 horses here, meaning more silver and better horses for breeding.
However, all wild horses give the same amount of Training EXP, so if you are trying to power level your Training, you may want to go somewhere quieter and close to a Stable Keeper.
My favorite location for EXP is the wild horses just outside of Epheria Port.
Other Wild Horse Locations
Click the images to view a larger version.
You can also view all Wild Horse locations on our Interactive Map.
Wild Horse Coats
Credit goes to the Horse Community Discord for this information. I highly recommend joining the Horse Discord for the best resources and information when it comes to mounts!
- 6A refers to a Tier 6 horse with coat type A
Spawns in all locations:
Spawns in Dreighan only:
Spawns in all regions (Rare):
Horse Taming Mini-game
- Put the Capturing Ropes and Lumps of Raw Sugar onto your hotkey bar.
- Approach the horse slowly. If you get too close, the horse will run away from you.
- Use the key on your Hotbar to equip the Capturing Rope (or right-click the Capturing Rope in your inventory).
- You can move with the Capturing Rope equipped, but you will move slower.
- Align your cursor with the horse and press LMB when the cross-hair turns red.
- If the horse is in range and targetted, the first mini-game will start
- A bar will show on the right side of your character and will start to fill up. You have 1 attempt to press [SPACE] at the correct time when the bar is in the blue area.
- Now you can start walking towards the horse using [W].
- If the horse stands up on its hind legs, you need to press [SPACE] to start the second mini-game
- There will be a 10-second timer and you need to continuously press [SPACE] to make sure that the red bar is at least 50% when the timer ends.
- You may need to repeat this mini-game multiple times.
- If you are successful, you can start walking over to the horse again.
- When you get close enough, the interaction options will show up for the horse.
- Press F5 to use an item from your inventory, and feed the horse one Lump of Raw Sugar.
- You can now Press “R” to attempt to Mount the horse.
- There is a chance that this can fail, no matter what you do or how high-level training you have. If you fail to mount the horse, you can retry by equipping a Capturing Rope again and following the same process.
Where to take your Tamed Horse
After successfully taming and mounting a wild horse, you can take it to any Stable Keeper to register it in your Stable.
Once you have arrived at a Stable Keeper, click the button to register the horse and enter a name for your new horse.
Horse Taming Gear and Buffs
When Horse Taming, you want to use gear and buffs that increase your Horse Capture Rate and Training EXP.
- If you are looking to power level your Training life skill, stack as many Life EXP buffs as possible using our Life Skill EXP buff list.
- You can also use the Training EXP Calculator by Wolfy to help you work out how long it will take to power level your Training.
It is recommended to use Trainer’s Clothes and any Mastery Accessories you have from other life skills:
(Requires Training Skilled Lv 10)
|Training EXP +10%
Mount EXP +15%
Horse Capture Rate +15%
Mount Skill EXP +15%
|Sold by Luxury Vendors
Can use an Equipment Tailoring Coupon
You can also use any Crystals and Artifacts/Lightstones you have available:
|Dim Magical Crystal – Training||Training EXP +3%||Achievement Reward for reaching level 10
Achievement Reward for becoming Apprentice Trainer
|Sethra’s Artifacts – Training EXP||Training EXP +5%||Rare drop from Imperial Horse Delivery|
|[Into the Sunset]
|Mount EXP +15%
Training EXP +16%
Training Mastery +25
|Lightstone of Flora: Gallop
Lightstone of Flora: Gallop
Lightstone of Flora: Steed
More info in our Artifacts and Lightstone Guide