Every NPC in Black Desert has “Amity points“ and the higher it is, the more friendly you are with the NPC. Engaging in Conversation with an NPC will increase the amity between you and that NPC. Amity can also be earned by greeting an NPC or giving them gifts and is used to unlock various things. To greet an NPC go up to them and press “F1”, this will use energy but is a fast way to earn a little bit of amity. Greeting an NPC will use 3 energy and earn you 3 Amity.
Amity does not share across NPCs or alts.
Basics of Conversation
Requirements to begin
To begin a Conversation, you will need Energy. It usually costs 2 energy each time but as you gain more amity with the NPC the amount of energy you need will go higher. You can see how much energy is required for a Conversation and the total amount of energy you currently have. For example, in the image below you can see the current cost is 2 energy and I have 438 energy I can use.
You will also need knowledge so that you have topics to talk about with the NPC. Knowledge is gained in many ways, such as interacting with another NPC, killing monsters, completing quests and exploring new areas. Each NPC has a different field of knowledge that they enjoy talking about and Conversation is only available with them if you meet certain requirements. In the window on the left, you will see the total amount of knowledge topics you currently have and how many you need to unlock Conversation.
For more information on the basics of Knowledge, view our Knowledge guide.
Interact with the NPC by pressing “R” and then clicking “Conversation” to open the Conversation interface.
The Conversation interface will have the NPC’s zodiac sign with circles for each topic and lines connecting them. This is the order in which each topic will be spoken. The topics you can select will be shown in the bottom right corner. Right-click a topic to add it to the conversation.
Once you have filled all of the available slots with a topic, you can press the “Conversation” button at the bottom to start talking. As the conversation is carried out you will get a positive or negative response from the NPC which is indicated with a happy or sad face. At the top of the screen, you will also be given a goal to fulfill each time and you must meet the requirements to obtain any amity points. Each goal is explained in detail below with advice on how to complete them.
Keep Talking or Exit?
When the Conversation is over, if you have successfully met the goal you will have the option to either keep the conversation going or exit now.
If you choose to exit now you will save the amount of amity you collected during the conversation. If you choose to continue you can keep talking without having to use energy again, but if you do not meet the next goal then you lose all of the amity you collected. You can choose to continue up to 2 times, making a total of 3 conversations each time.
Interest Level and Sparking Interest
When you begin a conversation with an NPC, their Interest Level will show in the window on the left. The NPC’s Interest Level can change each time you begin a conversation, but if you choose to use Continous Interact it will remain the same. High-Interest Levels can make it hard to gain Amity with an NPC.
When you mouse over a topic, you can also see its Interest Level. Topic Interest Level will always remain the same. Sparking Interest is calculated by dividing the topic’s Interest Level by the NPC’s Interest Level. Sparking Interest is the percentage of receiving a positive response in the conversation. If the NPC’s Interest Level is lower than the topic’s Interest Level, you will always get a positive response when using that topic.
In the image below for example:
- Lorenzo Murray has an Interest Level of 32
- Shiel topic has an Interest Level of 11
- Shiel topic has a Sparking Interest of 11/32 = 34%
- This means that there is a 34% chance that you will get a positive reaction when using this topic.
It’s also important to note that Sparking Interest can affect the next topic in the chain. If you are successful in receiving a positive reaction, you may have higher chances on the next topic and vise versa.
Favor and Interest
When you begin a conversation with an NPC, their amount of Favor is shown in the window on the left. The NPC’s Favor can also change each time you begin a conversation, but if you choose to use Continous Interact it will remain the same. Low Favor Levels can make it hard to gain Amity with an NPC.
When you mouse over a topic, you can also see its Favor. Topic Favor will always remain the same. Interest is calculated by subtracting the NPC’s Favor from the topic’s Favor. Interest affects your Maximum/Accumulated Favor level and the higher this is, the more amity you collect at the end of a Conversation.
You will only receive interest in a topic if you receive a positive reaction to it!
In the image above for example:
- Lorenzo Murray has Favor of 15
- Shiel topic has Favor of 31 ~ 39
- Shiel topic has an Interest of: (31 ~ 39) – 15 = (16 ~ 24)
- This means that if you get a positive reaction from this topic, you will collect a random number of interest between 16 and 24.
Maximum Favor Level and Accumulated Favor Level
Maximum Favor Level is calculated by adding up the interest you get from each topic. Each time a topic is discussed, the Maximum Favor Level will be recalculated and used to calculate the Accumulated Favor Level.
Maximum Favor Level can also be reset if you receive a negative response from a topic.
Accumulated Favor Level is recalculated each time a topic is discussed. To calculate the Accumulated Favor Level, you add up all of the Maximum Favor Level on each turn. You can calculate this on each turn by carrying over the previous Accumulated Favor Level and adding the new Maximum Favor Level to it.
If your Maximum Favor Level is reset due to a negative response, the Accumulated Favor Level will carry across to the next topic.
For example in the image below:
- Zaaira gave me 21 interest, 21 Maximum Favor Level, and 21 Accumulated Favor Level.
- Alfredo gave me 23 interest, 44 Maximum Favor Level, and 65 Accumulated Favor Level.
- Santo Manzi gave me 13 interest, 57 Maximum Favor Level, and 122 Accumulated Favor Level.
- Sealus gave me 33 interest, 90 Maximum Favor Level, and 212 Accumulated Favor Level.
- Marsella gave me 0 interest, 90 Maximum Favor Level, and 302 Accumulated Favor Level.
- Tranan Underfoe gave me 26 interest, 116 Maximum Favor Level and 418 Accumulated Favor Level.
- This gave me a total of 116 Maximum Favor Level and 418 Accumulated Favor Level.
It’s also important to note that Maximum Favor Level and Accumulated Favor Level only appear whilst the next topic is being discussed.
Types of Goals
Completing this goal requires you to get enough positive reactions from the topics during the conversation. Depending on the way it is worded you may also need to consecutively “spark interest” a certain amount of times. For example: “Requirement: Spark the interest of Lorenzo Murray 2 consecutive times” means you will need to get a positive reaction from him 2 times in a row to pass the goal.
You want to pick topics with high Sparking Interest to complete this goal and also check the interest you will get so that you can collect more amity. If you don’t have many topics with high Sparking Interest percentages, then remember that you can place a higher one before a lower percentage to effect its results.
Failing to Spark Interest
The aim of this goal is to get the number of negative reactions required. Although this means that you won’t receive any/many points, it will keep you in the mini-game and you won’t need to spend energy to continue. Depending on the way it is worded you may also need to consecutively “fail to spark interest” a certain amount of times. For example: “Requirement: Fail to spark the interest of Lorenzo Murray 4 time(s)” means you will need to get a negative reaction from him 4 times in a row to pass the goal.
To complete this goal, pick topics with low Sparking Interest. If you don’t have many topics with low Sparking Interest percentages, then remember that you can place a lower one before a higher percentage to effect it’s results.
Maximum Favor Level
This goal requires you to get a certain amount of Maximum Favor Level during the conversation. For example: “Requirement: Gain a maximum Favor of 38 or more” means you will need to get at least a Maximum Favor Level of 38.
You want to pick topics with high Sparking Interest and high Interest to complete this goal. Remember that your Maximum Favor Level can be reset by negative reactions, so try to place the higher Sparking Interest topics toward the end of the conversation.
Accumulated Favor Level
The aim of this goal is to get a certain amount of Accumulated Favor Level during the conversation. For example: “Requirement: Gain an accumulated Favor of 130 or more” means you will need to get at least an Accumulated Favor Level of 130.
You want to pick topics with high Sparking Interest and high Interest to complete this goal. Place the higher Sparking Interest topics towards the beginning of the conversation to get the highest possible Accumulated Favor Level.
This goal means you can talk about anything and you will pass to the next round. To get as many amity points as possible, pick topics with high Sparking Interest and high Interest to complete this goal. Place the higher Sparking Interest topics towards the beginning of the conversation to get the highest possible Accumulated Favor Level.
Combo effects can be made between the topics to earn extra interest or favor points, which in turn will increase your Maximum Favor Level and Acccummulated Favor Level. The wording can be confusing but once you understand it they are easy to use.
Some topics will have a combo effect description when you hover over them. For example, the Lianano Pietro topic states “After 2 turns, Interest Level will be increased by 4 for 4 turns”. This means that it will combo with the topic which is placed 2 turns after it. It will increase the Interest Level of the topic by 4 and will also increase the Interest Level of the next 3 topics after that one. Some topics may have no combo effects.
Connections are shown between topics via a glowing blue line and you can view the effects by hovering over the topic it effects. The effects are shown in blue text.
NPC stores may have some items which say “Required Amity”. Once you have the amount of amity you will be able to buy these items for the price shown. Amity points with that NPC will also be consumed when you buy the item. If the NPC does not run a store, they may offer you a rare item, provide a new quest, or give you new knowledge.
In the screenshot below you can see that I can now buy 3 new items which were previously grayed out. These are the “Shabby Leather Saddle”, “Weak Iron Horseshoe” and “Shabby Hide Stirrups”. You can see how much required amity these cost under the name of the item. Each of these costs 100 amity points. The “Shabby Leather Barding” and “White Plume Champron” are still unavailable because they require 300 amity and I only have 140 at the moment.
Investing in the node will also help you to gain amity on NPCs in that area and matching the same Zodiac sign as the NPC will increase amity gain by 10%.
You can also use equipment/buffs to increase your amity gain when using Conversations:
- [Villa Buff] Turning Gates
- Requires Villa Scroll (Gold Bar 100G – 10 mil – required)
- Villa buff locations: Karashu, Shakatu, Kiyak, Muna, Marzana, Talia
- Villa buff also available through the Pearl Store Tent
- Requires Gold Bar 1G x3 or x9 depending on how long you want the buff for (90 or 180 mins)
- Amity Gain +10%
- Pickled Fish
- Cooking recipe: Dried Fish x1, Vinegar x2, Salt x4, Leavening Agent x2
- Effect: Amity Gain +5% for 60 minutes
- Requires Cooking Apprentice Lv 1 to craft
- Elixir of Amity
- Alchemy recipe: Ash Sap x6, Fire Flake Flower x5, Blackstone Powder x3, Legendary Beast’s Blood x1
- Effect: Amity Gain +20% for 5 minutes
- Requires Alchemy Apprentice Lv 1 to craft
- Calpheon Noble Suit (Male characters only)
- Crafting Materials: Design: Calpheon Noble Suit (purchasable from Merv in Calpheon for 400 amity), Cotton Fabric x30, Fine Fancy Feather x30
- Craftable at a Level 2 Costume Mill (Merchant Lane 2-5, 1F, Calpheon / Noble Quarter 1-6, Calpheon)
- Effect: Amity Gain +15%
- Calpheon Noble Dress (Female characters only)
- Crafting Materials: Design: Calpheon Noble Dress (purchasable from Merv in Calpheon for 400 amity), Flax Fabric x30, Ruby x7
- Craftable at a Level 2 Costume Mill (Merchant Lane 2-5, 1F, Calpheon / Noble Quarter 1-6, Calpheon)
- Effect: Amity Gain +15%
- Pearl Store Costume
- Gloves/hand slot
- Costs approximately 400 pearls
- Amity +10%
Gifting Items to an NPC
Some NPCs have a chat option when you speak to them that allows you to gift an item to them. You can use this to quickly and easily gain amity with them. The NPC’s favorite items are shown in the UI and will grant more amity.
Region Fame/Renown Bonus
In each region (Balenos, Serendia, Mediah, Valencia, Kamaslyvia, etc.) you have a Region Fame Level between 1 to 5. This is calculated by adding up all of your amity with each NPC within the region. You will also receive an AP bonus based on your highest Region Fame Level, which is added to both your pre-awakening and awakening AP. This means you can get Region Fame Level 5 in just one region and you will get the highest available AP bonus.
- Level 1 – Newcomer Adventurer
- No Renown Score bonus (+0 AP, +0 accuracy)
- Requires a total of 600 amity
- Level 2 – Stranger Adventurer
- Renown Score +1 (+0 AP, +4 accuracy)
- Requires a total of 3600 amity
- Level 3 – Buddy Adventurer
- Renown Score +2 (+1 AP, 8 accuracy)
- Requires a total of 9600 amity
- Level 4 – Reliable Adventurer
- Renown Score +3 (+2 AP, 12 accuracy)
- Requires a total of 27600 amity
- Level 5 – Famous Adventurer
- Renown Score +5 (+3 AP, 16 accuracy)
- Requires a total of 87600 amity
To check your current Region Fame Level, open your world map (M) and mouse over the Territory emblem to view the Territory Information. Your Fame level will be shown in your Player Information section.
Tips to quickly raise your Region Fame Level:
- Use the amity buffs listed above (in the Advanced Tips section)
- Use BDOTools if you need help with the amity game
- Use alt characters when you run out of energy
- Complete the Red Battlefield daily quest for more energy
- Balenos is the easiest region to get high amity in and you should gain amity with various NPCs:
- Igor Barali
- David Finto
- Artemio Flazza
- Adrian Loggia
- Islin Bartali
- Laiano Pietro
- Keep raising amity with each NPC until you reach 20 energy cost per conversation
- You can buy products from the NPCs to reset your energy cost per conversation. Buying products will not reset your TOTAL amity in the region and will save you energy.
For the story mission I just greated the NPC until I ran out of energy. ?
The triangles show how much amity you need to unlock things. A red triangle (the more common) means you need amity above the number next to it. A blue triangle means you need amity below the number next to it. So 200 red triangle means you need an amity rating of 201 or above to unlock.
This seems bugged on some NPCs, sometimes you have to go back the next day or so to get the quest/item/knowledge you unlocked. Or there’s another mechanic that I’m not privy to.
Information about the red triangle would be helpful for me as well. I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere.
You need to explain what the red triangle is for in front of the points required to get a quest/knowledge/store/etc when you hover your mouse over the item on the wheel.
I suspect it is indicating there is something more needed as I get past this score and still not given the reward.